Mental Health Worker Cover Letter
Mental Health Workers provide support to people who are mentally ill or have developmental disabilities. This is a very demanding job, requiring emotional stability, empathy, and the ability to handle and restrain patients with mental health conditions. Typical duties include discussing with patients about their problems, administering medication, helping patients in distress, showing people how to manage their emotions, maintaining patient records, and organizing activities to keep patients occupied and entertained.
The most sought-after skills in a Mental Health Worker, based on our cover letter samples, are the following:
- Strong observational skills
- Empathy and a non-judgmental approach
- Excellent communication and interpersonal abilities
- Being able to stay calm in difficult situations
- Physical strength and stamina
- Confidentiality and work ethics
Resembling job skills and abilities are included in the Mental Health Worker example cover letter provided below.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Mental Health Worker Resume Samples.
For more information on what it takes to be a Mental Health Worker, check out our more complete Mental Health Worker Job Description.
Dear Mr. Atkinson:
When I learned of your need for an experienced and patient-focused Mental Health Worker to join your team, I hastened to submit my resume for your review. My experience caring for mentally ill patients within various social services programs gives me confidence in my ability to significantly benefit your organization.
My background includes providing life skills and support services to mentally and/or behaviorally challenged adults while organizing and leading caseloads and programs to ensure achievement of patient objectives. My ability to quickly connect with individuals and establish trusting relationships, along with my strong communication and organization talents, prepare me to thrive in this position.
I invite you to consider the following highlights of my qualifications:
- Providing vital support to mentally ill adult patients at the Next Line Facility in Princeton Junction; assessing conditions, recommending optimal treatment plans, and offering counseling through significant life transitions and events.
- Tackling tough challenges and tasks, such as restraining violent patients, administering medications, and encouraging socialization to reduce feelings of isolation and loneliness.
- Delivering support and case management services for homeless adults suffering from chronic mental illness for the City of Princeton Junction for seven years.
- Evaluating patients’ safety and communicating status updates and progress to licensed health professionals.
- Utilizing superior communication and interpersonal abilities to provide solutions and support in difficult and stressful situations.
With my dynamic experience in mental health support and my dedication to providing critical assistance to individuals in need, I believe I could swiftly surpass your expectations for this role. The opportunity to discuss the position in further detail would be most welcome.
Thank you for your consideration, and I hope to hear from you soon.
Mental Health Worker Cover Letter
A Mental Health Worker cover letter is an introductory letter about yourself, which presents your professional information and expresses your wish to work with the organization. A mental health worker is a person who counsels and assists people in dealing with mental illnesses and instability.
A mental health worker is a social worker associated with the mental healthcare industry. Mental health workers have to coordinate with physicians and nurses in order to plan appropriate treatment for mental health patients. They also provide counseling for the patient's family members and offer professional advice on various issues. In order to evaluate the mental condition of a patient, they may have to conduct interviews and review their past records. A mental health worker should possess excellent communication and inter personal skills in order to be adept at his/her work since this is a job which involves a lot of human interaction.
Since a cover letter is the first form of communication with the hiring manager of the organization you're planning to work at, it is necessary to make a good first impression by writing an effective letter. Refer to the guidelines given below in order to gain better understanding on how to write your own letter.
Guidelines for writing a Mental Health Worker cover letter:
- A mental health worker is a person who guides a patient and his/her family through the treatment procedures. This means that they have to be proficient at communicating with various people. These communication skills need to reflect in the cover letter.
- Make use of professional language which is free from grammatical and typographical errors in the cover letter. A well written letter will create a positive impact on the reader.
- Mention any unique achievements or qualities that you posses in order to give your profile an edge over other applicants.
- Do not provide excessive information in the letter as your resume already contains details about your job responsibilities. A cover letter should not exceed a single page's length.
- State the source where you found out about the job opening. This could be from an advertisement in a newspaper or an online portal or even through an existing employee of the company.
- Inform the reader that you would be interested in appearing for a personal interview and lastly, thank them for their time.
Sample of Mental Health Worker Cover Letter
Wiley M. Packer
97 Evergreen Lane
Irvine, CA 92614
Email ID: email@example.com
January 16, 2012
Brandon F. Asbury
Human Resources Manager
George Care Hospital
3823 Front Street
San Jose, CA 95142
Dear Mr. Asbury,
I am writing this letter with reference you advertisement posted in the California Herald newspaper dated 01/14/2012, regarding the opening for the job position of a mental health worker at your renowned hospital. I possess the necessary qualifications and experience in this field and would like to apply for this position.
I have seven years of experience as a mental health worker with ABC Hospital and in this time, I have provided counsel and effective guidance to a number of patients with mental conditions. Providing counsel to patients on the basis of their problems and past records, collaborating with doctors and nurses in order to come up with an effective treatment plan, monitoring patient progress and providing professional advice to patients' families were some of the job functions that I carried out in my capacity as a mental health worker. I have attached my resume along with this letter for your perusal.
I believe I am the perfect candidate for this job opening and would love to further discuss my profile with you in person. Please feel free to contact me on the details provided above in case you have any queries for me. Thank you for your time and consideration.
Wiley M. Packer
As seen in the above example, a Mental Health Worker cover letter should contain information about your professional background and state your desire to work with the organization.