Department of Modern Languages
ENG 101, Eng 102, Eng 211 and Eng 311 Courses
Important points about attendance:
· Instructors take attendance in all English courses; students are expected to attend classes starting from the very first day. Even if students intend to change sections in the Add-Drop week, they have to attend any section that is not clashing with other courses.
· Students need to refer to the course outline to see each course’s attendance criterion.
Important points about medical reports:
· Medical reports (or other documents regarding excuses for absenteeism) have to be submitted to the class instructor for in-class activities, and to the DML administration for midterm and/or final exams.
· If the medical report is taken from an institution other than HGC, it must be issued by the HCG. Reports that are not issued are invalid.
· According to the Middle East Technical University Directive For Students' Health Issues And Medical Reports, medical reports received from a health institution other than HGC must be submitted to HCG within three days after the period covered by the report ends.
· Hourly medical / examination reports are not accepted.
Important points about midterm and final exams:
· Midterm and final exams of compulsory English courses are prepared by DML Exam Committee. All sections take the exam simultaneously.
· Students who are late for the exam have to enter the exam hall after the “Listening” section is over. Students who have been absent during the Listening cannot answer the questions in this section of the exam; even if they do, their answers are not graded.
· During the exam, students cannot ask the proctor to make explanations about the questions.
· The proctor is authorized to check student ID cards before each exam, arrange students’ seats, change their places during the exam, and give any instruction or warning to ensure exam safety.
· It is an offence to help another student in written or oral form, to cheat or attempt to cheat.
· The proctor does not have to warn the student who has been cheating. Yet, if the student continues to cheat despite the warning, the proctor is authorized to take the student’s exam paper.
· In case of cheating, the name(s) of the student(s) committing the offence should be reported to DML Administration. If the administration finds necessary, the exam paper(s) can be declared invalid, deduct as much points as is seen necessary, or take disciplinary action (Information on disciplinary action is available on Yükseköğrenim Kurumları Öğrenci Disiplin Yönetmeliği - The Council of Higher Education Directive for Student Discipline).
· It is entirely in the proctor’s authority to cancel the exams of the students who do not obey the rules, follow the instructions, or encumber.
· Learning the exam place is the student’s responsibility. Exam date, time, and place are announced on MLD Webpage and the bulletin board in S-Building, 1st floor, a few days prior to the exam.
· A student who needs to be exempt from a certain section of the exam due to a handicap has to contact Disability Support Office and apply MLD Administration with an official document verifying the condition.
Important points about the make-up exams:
· Make-ups of the midterm and final exams are given by MLD Administration. Instructors are not authorized to give extra midterm or final exams.
· Make-up exams of the courses that are offered in Fall and Spring semesters are given within 7-10 days after the exam date.
· Students who do not have valid documents concerning their excuses are not accepted to the make-up exam.
· Students who want to have the make-up exam have to apply the MLD Administration latest 1 day before the make-up exam day with one of the following documents:
- A valid medical report received or issued by HGC.
- (If the student has two exams in the same day, at the same time) A signed document from the instructor of the other course
- (If the student is a participant in an event representing METU) an official document from the President’s Office / Registrar’s Office /the organization regarding the whereabouts of the student on the day and time of the exam
· The day, place and time of the make-up exam are announced on MLD webpage and the bulletin board in S-Building, 1st floor. It is the student’s responsibility to follow the announcements.
· There is no make-up for the make-up exam.
· Other details that are not listed here can be found in the Course Outline of each class. Course Outline is distributed in the first week of the semester by the course instructor. It can also be reached on MLD Webpage.
Important points about academic misconduct:
METU Department of Modern Languages (MLD) regards academic honesty as the foundation of teaching, learning and research. It requires all students to observe the highest ethical standards in all aspects of their academic work.
While MLD accepts that new students may not fully understand the concept of plagiarism, its academic staff is committed to educating new students about the definition, identification and avoidance of plagiarism.
I. Academic Honesty and Plagiarism
Plagiarism is the reproduction of someone else’s words or ideas without proper referencing.
There are many forms of plagiarism but the most common ones include:
a) direct lifting of entire essays from the Internet or books;
b) taking parts of essays found on the Internet or in books without giving a proper
c) presenting other students’ essays, presentations or other assessable work as if one’s
It is the responsibility of students to acquire a clear understanding of how to avoid unethical practices. Students who engage in unethical practices; who cheat in examinations, essays or any other assessable work; and who conspire with others to procure such a result will become subject to disciplinary procedures.
II. Responsibility of the Student
Students have a responsibility to:
a) observe an ethical approach to learning;
b) reference properly all sources used in their work;
c) seek individual help from their instructors when in doubt about any matter regarding
d) ensure that they do not knowingly or carelessly make their work available to other
III. Guidelines for Detecting and Reporting Student Misconduct
All MLD instructors have a duty to report suspected cases of academic misconduct. The following uniform procedure will be followed in all alleged occurrences of misconduct:
a) Minor breaches in referencing by first-year students will be treated as a lack of skills and rectified by individual instructors;
b) Blatant and large-scale plagiarism shall be referred to the Academic Misconduct
Committee for investigation. These cases include but are not limited to:
i. A significant amount of an assignment being copied from printed or Internet
ii. A significant portion of an assignment has been copied from another student;
iii. Assisting others with plagiarism or cheating, whether carelessly or deliberately.
The Academic Misconduct Committee shall investigate the case within 15 working days of receiving notification. Students will be notified promptly of the outcome (Blatant plagiarism very often leads to an automatic FF grade from the course and disciplinary action which may result in suspension from the university).
IV. The Academic Misconduct Committee
The Academic Misconduct Committee assists the department in upholding the academic and ethical standards of the university. Its composition is as follows:
a) The Committee Head nominated by the Department Chair
b) Two senior instructors
universitenin ilk senenin ilk donemi alinan ingilizce dersi. en temel ingilizce bilgileriyle bezenmistir. ingilizceye giris diyebiliriz.
(bkz: english and composition)
öğretim dili ingilizce olan üniversitelerde*** sanilanin aksine temel ingilizce bilgileri değil, sizi yerinizden ziplatacak derecede* reading* ve composition* bilgisi içerir*.**
tam bir baş belası!
görüp görülebilecek en gereksiz ve bir o kadar da zahmetli ders!
zaten dört yanınız ingilizceyle çevriliyken üzerine bir de sadece buna odaklanan bir ders almak saçmalık !
odtüde verilen eng 101 dersinin, üniversite düzeyindeki bir öğrenciye verdiği temel eğitim, akademik ingilizcenin temelini verirken aynı zamanda hayati önem taşıyan logical fallacies olgularını işlemesidir.
10.01.2009 16:38 ~ 16:39ben nick gordum
adamı canından,bezdirir,yıldırır,sündürür. sonrası 102 dir daha sonrasıda 211 dir. öfffff.
03.01.2011 01:20 ~ 08.10.2011 23:36kirmizi dudak sari kabak
tüm yazılanların aksine boğaziçi üniversitesi'nde ingilizce ya da benzeri bir ders olmayıp "introduction to computers" adlı word, excel, powerpoint ve http tarzı web sayfası yapımını öğretmeye çalışan bir derstir.
genellikle eğitim fakültesi 2. sınıf öğrencileri tarafından alınır. sınavlarının kolay olduğu söylenir -ki pazartesi ilki ile karşılaşacağım- dönemde 2 lab 2 de lecture midtermi ve 1 lab 1 de lecture finali ile toplamda 6 sınav ve 2 proje ile senenin en kek fakat en çok uğraştıran derslerinden biridir.
boğaziçi üniversitesi'nde karşılaşılabilecek en angarya ders olarak tarihe geçmeli.
odtü'deki versiyonu hazırlığı 85 ile geçemediğine isyan ettirir. bu ne sıkıcı bir ders lan.
09.10.2013 20:34 ~ 20:37leatherface
odtüdeki gerçekten sıkıcı olan ders. yok, harbiden sıkıcı abi. kolay-zor falan demiyorum, bildiğin sıkıcı yani. bu kadar sıkıcı ve iğrenç bir dersi nasıl yapmışlar hala anlayamadım ben mesela.
10.10.2014 09:28kanalizasyon borusu